Location: 1008 6th Street Harlan, Iowa 51537
Type 1 Building
* Bank was established in 1880 * Name changed to Shelby County State Bank in 1898
Architect and Builder, J.O. Wickersham.
This two story brick building is a Type 1 building and was elaborate in its original Italianate detailing which included a metal cornice at both top floor and the first/second floor break and metal hoodmolds. While the conices have been removed, the hoodmolds remain as does the brick corbelling on the cornice and the three-bay windows.
The storefront has been remodeled, although the later three pane transom windows remain intact.
Historically, this building was constructed as the first Shelby County Bank, but subsequently housed the C.O. White Cigar Shop (1890s), a barber shop (c.1909), a meat market (c1910), a pool hall (c1918), Jacobsen Grocery (1940s), Yours & Mine Consignment Shop (2007) and currently Sandwich Bowl.